As the above Equation says, SteganPEG is an application of Steganography to JPEG images. The software can hide your personal, private, or sensitive files in any JPEG image without changing its quality and size considerably. The main reason for choosing the JPEG image format is that it is a compressed image format, that is very popular all over the world today. The images created in this format take very less space, less time to load via internet, and so this format is widely used. It is also the preferred format to save captured images in many digital cameras. The key features of SteganPEG are:
· It can hide multiple files in a JPEG image
· Shows indication of how much of space remains in the image to add more files
· Password protects the hidden files, so that no one without a password could even see what files are hidden
· Compresses the files before hiding, so that more number of files can be hidden
· Provides a convenient interface to add or view the files hidden in the JPEG image
· Hidden files can be extracted selectively
Currently, in this version, the software only supports DCT based Baseline Sequential JPEG images, since it is the most widely used kind of JPEG compression today. The software is released under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC license. Hence, the source of this software is also distributed in the setup package. You can find the source code in your application’s folder (mostly C:/Program Files/SteganPEG), within the folders named “JPGProcessor Source” and “SteganPEG Source”. If you want to know about the mechanism of SteganPEG, about what its source code does under the hood, click here. You are also requested to report any bugs in the feedback Box present at the bottom of the same page. When filing a bug report, kindly include a Brief description of what you were doing when the bug showed up.